Wednesday, July 05, 2006

An Ode to our Youth...

This post is dedicated to the many things I have loved and lost with age. Things that were greatly meaningful at one point in my life, and now just don't seem to fit as well as they used to. All of which should continue to find a place in our hearts. (Please note, these are in no particular order and many of these are foods; therefore, you will see where my priorities are.) As always, please add to the list or remove as you see fit, but we'll start with the top 20 that come to mind...

1. Fruit Snacks and Fruit Roll-ups - Why do I have to steal these from my nieces lunch/snack shelf in my sister's closet for it to be okay for me to take in some processed fruity yumminess? Is it so wrong for an "almost 28 year-old" to love a little rubberized fruit?

2. String Cheese - Why can't adults play with their food? This stuff is good.

3. Afternoon Naps - I think the company-mandated afternoon siesta would be much appreciated by any employees. It must be mandatory where no meeting can/will be scheduled at this time. You must roll out your bed roll and nap for a half hour.

4. An 8:30 to 3p.m. schedule, with a snack break, lunch, and gym class - Enough said, considering I just left work at 10 and went in at 8:30.

5. Summers off - Also enough said, but well-deserving of it's own line item number. (Please revert to the earlier post where I decided that I needed to be a teacher.)

6. Time that passed slowly - I mean our parents always told us that time flew as you got older, but who believed them? I didn't. I swear it's January 2004, isn't it? Come on, reset the clocks.

7. The time when I used a computer to play Oregon Trail and make "banners" - Who didn't love giving their friend dysentery and write tombstones along the path as you killed off your leader. Why does it have to be Outlook, someone else scheduling my meetings and days, and 207 e-mails a day about work. What happened to Virtual treat e-mails and e-cards? Those were just in college.

8. Frogger - Was there really a better game? Ever? moderninzing the frog needed to never happen. Take it back, you've ruined my game.

9. Flavor-Ice - Popsicles are cheap treats. I am eating them as an afternoon work snack, and no one can stop me.

10. A 8 or 9 pm bedtime - I'd kill to get that much sleep now, wouldn't you?

11. Playing outside - This now is called a workout. I refuse to partake in such activities. I just want to play tennis, soccer, softball, or kickball without it hurting the next day.

12. Pre-puberty times - Why did I want to have a period, shave, and get zits again?

13. Boys - The big question is when do we reach the point where we have to start the check for wedding rings? I hate the first glance. Guys glance at boobs, girls glance at fingers... UGH! And at what age can we find balding men "hot," without someone saying "What? He's Bald?" I know I am passed it, but I wondered when that age was? I like older men, don't get me wrong... but I miss the innocence of when we liked boys.

14. Carefreeness - (Sure it's a word!) Ahh to the days that were pre-stress, work, bills, and high blood pressure.

15. Low Blood Pressure - This is just a recent build because until about 2 months ago, I had low blood pressure. Now, it's not. I'm officially getting old and stuff. Ughhh!

16. Weddings - I think these were fun at one point. I vaguely remember them being something to look forward to... not as much anymore.

17. Candy - I like it. If I want to eat it, I want to eat it. Screw calories, whether nerds are appropriate for a Client meeting, or whether they increase my blood sugar. I am not diabetic... yet.

18. Sunny Summer Days at the Pool - I may miss these the most. A tan would be highly appreciated at this point, and so would a nap by the pool. Well as we all know what I really want is a week in a hammock with a fruity drink and a hot man, but we can't have everything, now can we?

19. Clothes and Dishes that cleaned themselves - It was like magic. The clothes just "appeared" folded and clean in your room... and the dishes were always there when you needed one. Truly, magic.

And 20. All the time in the world to spend playing with your friends - I haven't seen my friends in weeks. I never see my friends. Whose got time to have a life? Not me. Not now. Ughh! Someday, I will someday... you know when I am thin, making buttloads of money, spending weekends at my lakeside home, and having the time of my life.

We all know that this should be NOW, but well... I am too busy this week, and then I am out of town next week at the World Conference on Tobacco or Health. As a side note, I'll be sure to keep a good record of all the good times had at the conference and report back. It's sure to be good, good times. Anyone is DC want to hang out? :)

Did I mention I miss spare time and time to be "bored"... yeah, that too! OK, bed time, after a long-awaited post... I hope. Night!

4 comments:

SRR said...

The reason guys look at YOUR boobs is because they are so lickable girlie!!!

The Absent Minded Landlord said...

WOOHOO! Oregon Trail! What was the one called that you used to act like a sailing merchant and trade for goods? By the way, nice to see you are carying on the ... tradition.

RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

Good blog teiner!!! I miss when smoking was still cool. And, also, TGI Fridays..not the restaurant. I'm talking Full House, Mr Belvedere, Just the Ten of Us, and Perfect Strangers. Ahhhh, even then my Friday nights were consumed with TV.....some things will never change!!!

RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

P.S. I liked your old title better!!! RRR does not have the same appeal as "Molly Made Me Do It".