Sunday, January 14, 2007

If I had a million dollars...

I can't complain about life right now... so I won't. I went to Jeff Ruby's lovely WATERFRONT for dinner on Friday night. It was fancy and nice, but looking around at the "locals" made me think a little. If I never had to worry about money as an issue, what would life be like? My answers are below, and I am VERY curious about yours...

What are the top three things you'd do more regularly, that are more like "special treats" right now?
  • Weekly massages and chiropractor visits
  • A "true" personal trainer (not the kind I can visit once every 4 months with my gym membership, but one to workout with me 3x a week.)
  • Mucho travel... (Many of you may have thought I would say gambling... however, I cheated, as I would make this travel include trips to Vegas and participation in WPT tourneys, along with hammock lounging and scuba diving in clear water destinations.)
* Please note, none of this says fancy drinks and fancy foods in restaurants that make me feel wealthy - but out of place.

What "good," if any, would you do for the community.
  • I'd fund the At-Risk youth program we are doing at work.
  • I'd spend more time with and money on kids who need it.
  • I'd work with cancer research.
  • I'd do something for the older folks at nursing homes who are often neglected and forgotten.
Would you work?
  • Of course. We all know I need to feel like my brains are being put to some good use, or I would have no idea what to do with myself.
What would your first "rich person" purchase be?
  • A sweet lake house, paid in full (Eff mortgages) and remodeled to my liking. Not a big house, but a sweet house. THEN a HUGE party for all my friends and acquaintances, and maybe I could get Dane Cook as entertainment?
What simpler things have you been holding out on buying, that you would go get ASAP!
  • I'd get wireless at home, a laptop, TIVO, a new cell phone, and then drop TMobile QUICK.
  • I'd get more and better Bengals tickets... somehow!
What would you buy for someone else?
  • I'd make sure everyone around me who really meant something to me was as happy as I could.
I don't know. I don't think I'm the kind to be ridiculously frivolous. It's not about things, it's about experiences. Fun times, good friends, etc. I may get some better clothes or shoes, but I would not be seen with different Prada bags and shoes each day, unless they were knockoffs from a NY streetcorner. It's fun to dream, isn't it? Someday, right?

Ciao for now.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm on the same page on this one, C. I would especially love those massages/personal trainer sessions, but I really don't feel I would ever be a frivolous spender...I just could not justify it. I would also still work at something I really enjoyed. I hope that happens for you! Then you can lend me some cash ;)

Anonymous said...

If I didn't have to worry about my money I'd spend all my time writing on a laptop and eating trail mix. Then I'd run it all off. And I'd pay someone to worry about all those other things.

Oh yeah, and I'd stay home with my boy and impart on him all my wisdom. BUHUAHAHAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

Good Question, I actually have for the past 4-5 years TRY to live like I have a million dollars meaning I found a way to work from home and build a lifestyle around my work(job)per say...but the work doesn't come first in my life anymore... I am involved in 2 charities and do volunteer work. I ENJOY life and do not major in minor things...get caught up in BS! (which wastes so much time and brings too many people down.)

BUT if a million dollars plus was to fall my way ALL those things I currently do will be UPGRADED just a bit more :-)

good post

RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

I would sit on my couch and watch oprah.

RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

and buy a real fur coat. and a monkey. havent you always wanted a monkey??

Anonymous said...

Screw weekly massages. I would BUY an oriental massage therapist, whose name would be Misha, and she'd follow me around wherever I went and was there for my every beckoning call

cmeddie said...

jlee: I'll be sure to lend some cash when the motherload comes down...

DD: Oh that poor kid... ;) Does he have to live on trail mix too?

Bob: i could handle an upgrade too! Sign me up for your schedule!

Iheart: I already knew that one... and YES, you know I've always wanted a monkey...

Dan-o: What a better idea!!! Count me in!

Anonymous said...

Nice post, my friend.

If I had enough money so that I didn't have to work, I'd quit my job and focus on writing and volunteering time to those in need.

The only thing I'd buy would be a house. I've been pretty successful in living life as Thoreau once put it "I make myself wealthy by making my wants few."

Stephanie said...

Ooooh, what a fun thing to think about! Your plans sound pretty good. I think I'd set up my own personal shopper business. That way, I'd still be imposing my will on others, and doing stuff that I think is fun... and charging others for it, no less. But I'd volunteer a lot too. We have a lot of really great non-profits in the community that I'd love to get involved with and could use the attention.

Leese said...

Wow... sounds like you have your priorities straight. 1.) Pampering Yourself, 1.) Your loved ones.

Afterall...it's your money!

I'm new to all this and have enjoyed reading your blog. You crack me up. Random thoughts are the only way I communicate.

I added you to my list...hope you don't mind.