Saturday, August 19, 2006

Oh to be young and dumb...

So, I was simply doing my civic/religious duty, (and thought it was a good way to enjoy cards and not actually SPEND money) when I volunteered to deal Poker and/or blackjack at the SMS festival.

Life was going well, because I was drinking free beer and no one wanted to play poker, so no one was at my table and I could hold a "catch-up" conversation with an old grade school friend... when a group of yungins came along.

So I changed my table to blackjack for the 6 of them. It was all going along swimmingly, when they decided they loved me and I was the best dealer ever... and one nice little drinking-age boy looked at me and said "Do you have a younger sister...?" WAIT... WAIT... "I have a friend that looks just like you."

So the bitter 2-8 year old looked at the little bastard and said "So what are you trying to say...? I mean how old do you think I am!" and went off on the innocent little guy who was just trying to be nice.

He, in fact was 2-3, and had every right to see if I had a younger sister, because I am obviously too distinguished to be 2-3, right? So, maybe my freak-out was unnecessary.. BUT I am sensitive lately, right?

SO, just a few simple lessons to boys & men-like creatures everywhere... one from last night, and a couple more I have been meaning to get off my chest...

1. The "right" way to go about this conversation would be as follows (a much safer approach):
"You look really familiar, do you have brothers or sisters?"
When I say, "yes, both older..."
He says "I just must have seen you around then" or "Actually, I think you look a lot like one of my good friends."

2. One of my pet peeves, as it is with many women I know, is being told "You look really cute today," because it insinuates, no it actually MEANS, "you normally don't look near as cute as you do today and you should really try harder on a regular basis."

3. If you say you are going to do something, do it. If you are NOT going to do it, don't say you will. Think FRIENDS, when Chandler says "This has been great. I'll call you and we can do it again sometime!" It can be as little as calling or sending an e-mail or anything else you actually committ to by saying "I am going to..." followed by the act you never actually intend to follow through on. The minute you don't do it, you become a liar. And when you do it ALL THE TIME, you are a compulsive liar. Ever heard the phrase "underpromise and overdeliver."?

4. Don't be douchebags.

5. Tell the truth and don't cheat.

That is all for today.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yeah -- think of Chandler. Because when you say, "I'll call you," the next thing you know, you could wind up handcuffed to her office chair in your underwear!

cmeddie said...

Damn straight!!!

RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

#6 Boys suck

Dan-O said...

You go sister girl (with a triple snap).

The Absent Minded Landlord said...

Why are we so quick to turn everything nice into something negative? Do we over analyze, or are we so prone to looking at the dark that the light seems out of place? From here on out if someone pays me a compliment, I will take it for what is said, not try and think of what is not said.
"I like those shoes you have on."

"So, what are you saying? That you don't like every other pair of shoes I've ever worn?"

"No, I just meant that... Jesus, never mind."

I will lighten up, say thank you, and maybe even smile, knowing it is OK to feel good about me.

cmeddie said...

Thank you Mr Landlord, but yes. I am negative. Have you read my recent blogs? Do you know me? ;)