Saturday, May 12, 2007

It's official, I need to retire from sports...

Friday was my first pain-free day with my back. So I was excited to play in my doubleheader on Friday night (that was supposed to be followed by a soccer game on Saturday afternoon.) I play softball with a bunch of family friends, every spring and summer on Friday nights. The team has been together in some form for about 19 years or so.

The first game of the DH was against the team we can't ever freaking beat. We come in SECOND in the league to them EVERY FLIPPING YEAR. It's a bunch of 45-60 year olds men and women who place the ball perfectly and sit on pitches until they get a walk. We usually don't lose games, but that team has our number. Annoying. VERY annoying.


So, on my first at-bat, I got a hit an went to run out of the batter's box, and the back, hamstring and rear end pain came back. It was LOADS of fun. The game went on. We lost to them... again. And, unfortunately, we don't play them again this year to get revenge.

So the second game was against a local baptist church team who got thrown out last year because they are a bunch of pricks. It's always been ironic to me that the church team is full of the biggest jerkoffs in the league. They argue with the ump, the other teams and even themselves. The pitcher teases the batter with his ridiculous wind-up. They slide into girls on plays that aren't close enough to even slide. (And you really don't need to slide in softball.) They complain to the ump for stupid things like the player who is coaching first base having their glove with them. The runners screamed in the 2nd basegirl's face to try to throw them off when catching a throw to second. They are just asses.

All of the above happened last night. No, they didn't get kicked out again - unfortunately! Combined with an ump who doesn't understand the infield fly rule... it was a wonderful night. Just lovely.

I am the pitcher. It's not the safest spot on the field in co-ed ball. In fact, when my dad was alive, he wouldn't let a girl pitch. Last night was an example of why... I pitched to this guy and he drilled a line drive waist high right up the center - into my stomach.

I finished the play and got the chick out at third, then I realized it hurt. After a few quick tears and a little drama from my team, I insisted on finishing the inning and game.

So the next at bat, what does the prick church team guy that hit me in the stomach do? Drill a ball up the center, this time off my foot.

I am fine - bruised and pretty freaking sore, but fine. And I am not a baby, nor do I think people need special treatment, but there are rules to co-ed softball. And this team needs to be kicked out of the league. It wasn't fun. We didn't even want to shake hands. Half of the team didn't. It's ridiculous.

And now we have a losing record. I am not happy with that.

AND, no soccer for me today. I get to sideline it and cheer. RAH RAH.

ANYWAY...

I still have things to be happy about, so...
  • Ice & Advil
  • Being hit in just the right spot so there was no major damage
  • My softball team. I love them all
  • My sister being there to try and protect me and keep me out of harm's way
  • The beautiful weekend that is in front of us (And since I am on the DL, I get to relax and enjoy it.)

5 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Sounds like my girl needs a few COLD Miller Lites :-)

You will be back!!!! sounds like a good group of peeps, just enjoy a few cold ones for now & heal up!!

JLee said...

Man, these people are hard core! I used to play co-ed soccer and these men were always kicking me in the shins and whatnot and I would give them this look like "are you kidding me?"

Dan-O said...

ha ha, rear end pain. Hey, if you need a filler in player, let me know, I'll play. I haven't gotten on a team yet this year. Not sure if anyone's really wanting to play either....but I am.

cmeddie said...

Bob - the word cold just makes me want to ice my wounds. :) thanks for the positive thoughts!

Jlee - If I didn't mention it. they SUCK! My soccer is co-ed too, and it can get mean, but not stupid mean like this church team.

Dan-o - Rear end pain is no joking matter! ;) I'll have to let you know if we would need a sub. We may need a new pitcher! ;)

Unknown said...

So are you on the 15-day DL? Did they call up someone else in your place? Are you going to do a rehab assignment in the minors?

I watch way too much baseball ...