Thursday, August 02, 2007

Minneapolis, part three...

I would be totally remiss if I didn't dedicate time to share thoughts about yesterday's bridge collapse in Minneapolis. My thoughts and prayers are with anyone who has themselves, or has friends and family that have been affected by this tragedy.

I was sitting in class when the director of the school came into the classroom and said, "35W just collapsed into the Mississippi River." Needless to say, the TV was turned on, phones started ringing and class was cancelled mid-stream.

School is about a mile, maybe two from that bridge. My apartment is about a mile the opposite direction from school. I left school and started walking South. It was an eery walk home, wondering who knew, who didn't. Hearing siren after siren after siren. Almost watching a police car crash into an ambulance amidst the chaos. There was all kinds of traffic. And then the phone calls began... my coworkers, my friends, my family... all checking to make sure I wasn't on the bridge. I am lucky. I wasn't on that bridge. Unfortunately, many other people were on that bridge and at least 4 people have lost their lives (approximately 8 people are currently missing).

Some of the survival stories around this tragedy are pretty amazing. Everyday people turned into heroes. One 20-year old in the accident was quick-thinking enough to get 60 people, mostly kids, off a bus safely. A fellow blogger has a pretty amazing near miss story of his own - D. Dad. I just watched a story about a mother and father who were on the way to see their daughter at the hospital. They were in a jeep that went off the bridge and sunk to the bottom of the river. Luckily, they had just opened their windows, and were able to swim to safety (separately) and get the medical attention they needed. Somehow their daughter's security blanket ended up floating to the surface. Amazingly, a 2-year old still has both parents and a security blanket that I am sure they'll keep close the rest of their lives.

Like I said, I was lucky. Actually I am extremely lucky... not only because I wasn't on 35W, but because I have amazing people in my life.

I have been pretty homesick - missing friends, family and loved ones, but I doubt I could really feel much more loved than I do right now. I think almost everyone I know has sent an e-mail, a text, or made a phone call in the past 24 hours. Not only does a tragedy like this put life in perspective... but for me was an amazing reminder of how many people cared enough to check on me. It's pretty humbling.

It's a reminder to pay attention to what really matters. To tell people you love them. To never take life for granted. And, to never let regret in your life. Today's list of things to be happy about is pretty simple...
  • Being here to take advantage of today
  • Great family and friends
  • Genuine care and concern
  • Everyday heroes
  • Emergency responders (EMS, Fire, Police, Coast Guard, Courageous Onlookers, etc.)
  • Quick-thinking
  • Grabbing life by the horns
  • Perspective
  • Great memories
  • Recognizing all the little things

Thanks again to everyone who cared enough to check on me... My thoughts and prayers are with amazing people in the city of Minneapolis.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to Minneapolis. You probably didn't expect this.

And definitely glad to read that you're OK. I agree with you: the tragedy was a reminder of how fragile and fleeting life can be.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Wow Tina you have been very busy... really crazy about that Bridge, geesh and wow how close u live to that bridge... I am so glad ur safe.

Seen some great pics on posts below ...thanks for sharing!

My prayers & thoughts are with u guys out there, keep the faith!!

Sincerity said...

Hello!

I am glad to hear that you are safe and sound... even though I don't know you personally. And you can believe that I've been praying for the families that lost loved ones. I can't even begin to imagine how aweful these days must be for them.

Stay safe and keep that thankful attitude. :)

Dan said...

Goodness! I had no idea that you were so nearby. I'm very glad you are OK. Whew! Hugs.

cmeddie said...

DD - Thanks DD! It's a great city, but boy am I homesick.

Bob - Thanks for your thoughts. I am glad you liked my pics! :)

Sincerity - Welcome and thank you for your thoughts as well.

Dan - Nearby yes, I drove by the brudge for the first time today. It is pretty amazing.

JLee said...

I'm so sorry I missed this post earlier! I'm sure it was a pretty stressful day and I'm glad you're ok.