Saturday, December 23, 2006

Holiday Tradition...

Well, I guess a holiday season shouldn't go by without a little discussion about "Holiday Traditions."

When we were little it was to set out some milk and cookies, leave some oats for Rudolph, make sure our tacky lights were all out front a-glow, and get ready for mass. In our house (mostly because of running out of time for my parents), we didn't have a tree done when we went to bed on Christmas Eve. That was Santa's job. We'd do midnight mass, where traditionally I would fall asleep on whoever was next to me, family or not. Then home in bed it was.

Around 6 AM or something ridiculous, our eager selves would wake up and wait impatiently at the top of the stairs for Dad (who was always at the bottom) to say "Okay, you can come down now." Then the three of us would fight to the bottom of the steps to find a tree decorated, and lit, with three piles beneath it - some with "Santa" paper and some with "Mom and Dad" paper. The stockings stuffed so much they couldn't hang any more and were down on the floor. Mind you, we were not wealthy growing up. We had probably more than our fair share of struggles, but Mom and Dad always made Christmas "happen" for us somehow, and I guess we didn't have super-high i-pod, Xbox-esque expectations. We had atari, and were happy with frogger, but no Nintedo, etc.

I will have to say, it was pretty magical to have it all "appear" on Christmas Morning - tree and all.
I always wondered why mom and dad were so tired though!

There were a couple of things you knew before you started... a few family traditions.
  • There was one wrapped present on Christmas Eve that we got to open.
  • Santa always left the book of Life Savers in our stockings.
  • I ALWAYS got Dad "soap on a rope," and he was always surprised.
  • The one thing you wanted most was sure to be there - even if it was the popular toy that year and mom had to stand in line to get it.
  • My stack was always bigger than my brother and sister's, but we always had the same number of gifts - because we, of course, counted every year.
  • There were most likely Dr. Denton footed pajamas, until I was about 10. (Maybe that's why I can't wear socks in bed now.)
  • There was always socks, usually underwear, and the day after Thanksgiving Day LazzieBears from Lazarus (Macy's) made their appearance.
  • On occasion, my sister and I got the lovely 80s candy cane full of rainbow knee highs --- talk about SEXY!
  • There was ALWAYS clothes - like leggins, back when leggins were acceptable in the 80s. They may have even been stirrup pants. NIIIIICE.
  • And Mom's gift from dad always said "To PattyCakes" and she always got something even if dad said they shouldn't buy each other gifts.
Once we "stop believing," our family started opening gifts on Christmas Eve... making Christmas day the time for food and relatives. Then we all got to work together to put up the tree prior to Christmas Eve. Mom did the lights, Dad did the hooks, and we did the hanging and garland, of course. When we moved to our bigger house, we decided there was a need for two trees - one we cut ourselves with the colored lights and family traditional stuff, and a boxed tree with the fancy breakable stuff and white lights. Guess which one made it to the front window... cheers to tasteful decorations. Thanks M&D.

Here are some of the more recent traditions:
  • Tree: a day or three before Christmas, go to buy one that is already bundled but "looks good" through the mesh, because no matter how hard we look for the perfect tree SOMEONE is going to make fun of it. It used to be Dad - who had something bad to say about our choice every year, now a messed up tree is just a part of the tradition. (Note, the first year we did the no-look thing, it was the most perfect, prettiest tree we've ever had.)
  • PS Tree: both my mom and I are completely allergic to you, so please behave.
  • A tree? MAYBE, two? three? four? Those times are over. I don't think we need one in the Family room, living room, my room, and the basement - I mean really!
  • Outdoor lights: I forgot about those... maybe tonight. And only a few matching white ones, because I wouldn't want our house to look like some of the neighbors' houses.
  • Gifts: Pick them out and wrap your own and put them under the tree. Act surprised.
  • Santa: He comes to grandma's house too.
  • Christmas morning: It's for the kids, then mass, then brunch --- not a time to sleep in.
  • Sleep: Fall asleep after brunch on my sister's couch.
  • Dinner and Family at our house: this takes on all forms, from my sister, her hubby, and her kids, my aunt, mom and I to the additions of my sister's in-laws, and my uncle's entire family (3 kids and their husbands/wives and kids). This means interesting holiday conversations... This year, I think we have them all.
So, I guess we'll see what fun this year holds. It's the day before Christmas eve, and I have yet to see the tree that was picked up. It's lying on the floor of the garage... I guess a little water, some lights and a few ornaments would do it good. So that's part of today's chores... along with making sure everyone has a gift and cleaning... I guess that means I should stop blogging. Have a great holiday with your own traditions everyone!

Falalalala - luh lalala...

Oh yea, and kick some Bronco butt this weekend boys... WHODEY???

4 comments:

RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

Awww!! That was cute Teiner!! We got lifesaver books too!! Our tree was always fake, which is porbably why now I have a white one. I am not even gonna try to pretend that mutha is real.

Merry fucking Christmas!!

P.S. I STILL count my presents!! 22 this year according to my sister, who called to tell me last night after she was done wrapping. I think she wants to make sure I come in somewhere around there for HER!!! Some things never change!

A.B. said...

Oh yea, and kick some Bronco butt this weekend boys... WHODEY???

Ugh, what an unfortunate use of words :(.

Anonymous said...

Once we "stop believing," our family started opening gifts on Christmas Eve...

Same with us! If this trend continues we'll soon be opening our presents in June. That would be cool.

Stephanie said...

I love Christmas traditions, too. We have a special one in our family. My mother always makes oyster stew on Christmas Eve (I don't know how this got started). Every year, my dad complains it's too bland, and every year, she doesn't change a thing in the recipe. It's kind of heart-warming, to know that you can always count on some things.